The subdivision of land at Halfmoon Bay comprising Balemo, Algona and Jervis Streets and the adjoining blocks along South Arm Road, was undertaken by the owner Cedric Vere Calvert in 1956. The land had previously been purchased from Reginald Gellibrand by Cedric's grandfather Watson Calvert. The subdivision had 56 blocks. Cedric was the youngest son of Oscar and Queenie (nee Lazenby) Calvert, and a nephew of Ruby (nee Calvert) Gellibrand. Cedric had been a member of the Royal Australian Air Force during WW2. He died in February 1980 at the age of 54.
The name Balemo Street was written in biro over ’Proposed Road’ on the subdivision plan by Barrie Valentine, Surveyor (May 1956), seemingly named after the Australian Aboriginal word for ‘rough-leaved fig’. This suggests that the name came from a Council list of eligible names featuring aboriginal words. The first dwelling (shack) in Balemo Street was built by Alan and Nan Lewis who were the original block owners at no 13. Both of their families had shacks at Opossum Bay. Their son Hughie established Lewis Marine.
The word Algona may have come from the mainland Aboriginal word meaning ‘view from a hill’ or ‘high place, mountain’. Neither seems to apply locally so it is assumed that the name came from a previously-approved new place name list which Clarence Council used to guarantee quick approval. Algona Road in Kingston is seemingly named by the Housing Department for the same reason.
The name Jervis Street was also written in biro over ’Proposed Road’ on the subdivision plan by Barrie Valentine (May 1956), seemingly named after Jervis Bay from a Council word list of Australian town names. Jervis Bay itself is named to honour Admiral Sir John Jervis (later Earl St Vincent).
Thanks to Wayne Smith, historian and author, for his research and explanations of street names.