The church was erected as a memorial to the men of Sandford and South Arm who enlisted for active service in the First World War, and was opened debt free. A small hall is located in the church grounds which was formerly a small church near the shore at Seven Mile Beach, which was moved to its present position in the 1970s. The St Martin's cemetery adjoins the former church property.
The former St Martin's Anglican Church property at Sandford is now privately owned. It is the premises of Tasmania’s oldest karate club, International Goju Karate-do (IGK) Tasmania. The Tasmanian club has been teaching Goju Karate-do for 50 years.
The church building was dedicated on September 29, 1924 by The Bishop of Tasmania, The Right Rev K S Hay. Didn't quite make 100 years as a church! It was built on land donated by Robert and Henry Calvert, and extensively furnished by members of the congregation.