John William Potter

John William Potter, born 8 October 1839, was the son of Thomas Steadman Potter and Mary-Ann Brown. John married Elizabeth Ann Alomes, youngest daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (nee Bellette) Alomes in September 1861 and came to South Arm in 1866. After setting up home at the South Arm neck, they carried on farming including the growing of vegetables. They raised 7 children (6 sons and 1 daughter) ie Thomas (1866-1926), Alice (1869-1875), Edward (1871-1960), John (1872-1873), Walter (1875-1955), John (1876-1949) and Charles (1878-1936).

Edward married Miriam Madia Murphy at St Georges Church, Battery Point in 1895. They had 8 children (6 daughters and 2 sons) ie Gladys (1896-1969), William (Bill) (1898-1982), Olive (1900-1946), Alice (1901-1997), Ruby (1903-1977), Ina (1904-1978), Gwen (1906-1990)), Beryl (1908-2001), Stanley (1914-1953) and Phyllis (1914-1988). Stanley and Phyllis were twins. Bill married Kathleen Alomes and they had three children Lionel, Maurice and Joyce. Alice married Joseph Martin, Ruby married Sydney Cooper, Ina married Les Williamson, Gwen married Owen Kemp and Beryl married Geoffrey Tabart.

Edward was the last to farm the property and when his daughters had all left home, he sold the land in 1936 to Robert and Eric Calvert of South Arm. The land was leased by Albert Gill, until around 1938 it was purchased by George Males for sand mining. Today the land continues to be mined for sand. Edward died in 1960.

Old Potter home near Goat Bluff
Emma (nee Hyland) Alomes, Maurice Potter, Kathleen (nee Alomes0 Potter